Re: clean up ocr?

From: herta <herta.vandeneynde_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 00:07:30 -0000

On Jun 26, 5:18 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> herta wrote:
> > You can run standby databases in a cluster, as is explained in both
> > the document I already referred to and in the OracleŽ Data Guard
> > Concepts and Administration manual
>
> That you can, at least in theory, may not be debatable but what is the
> point?
>
> What is the purpose you expect this standby to serve if it is co-located
> with your cluster?
>
> What is the business case?
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington

I think I just explained.
The standby databases are in a remote location. We want redundancy there for two reasons:
1. for high availability during normal standby operations as the two servers don't have HW support contracts
2. to have high availability already in place in case we have a disaster. We can then startup using the servers we have, and add more servers (which will be required to carry the load as more applications will get on line again) without disrupting the operations already in progress. As you know, you cannot move a single instance database to a RAC config without shutting down the database. Received on Tue Jun 26 2007 - 19:07:30 CDT