Re: implications of merging 17 tables into 1...

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:36:07 -0700

nirav wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a data model and part of the applications' functionality is
> there in a group of 17 tables to 20 inter related tables. Now there is
> an initiative to redesign this piece entirely and the architect is
> suggesting just one mega table instead of these 17! What could be the
> pros and cons of this approach?

The pro would be if you are on an IBM mainframe writing COBOL or REXX.

The con would be if you are using Oracle and your architect needs to be pitched over the side of the boat with an anchor for ballast.

Without seeing the existing model and knowing a lot more about the application no serious comment is possible. But in general what you have described is insanity.

My instinct, as stated by someone else, fire the guy and deny you ever hired him if anyone calls for a reference.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington