Re: Oracle 10g R2 RHEL 5 When?

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala.SPAM-ME_at_not-at-verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 00:06:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:22:47 -0700, Jack wrote:

> Wait for a few weeks? It has been a few months!
>
> What about Oracle 11g?
>
> I feel like a character from the play "Waiting for Godot". Guess what
> Godot never comes.

You are too quick to give up wait. Estragon and Vladimir waited for a bit longer and Godot has arrived. He was delayed because of trying to smuggle a toothpaste through homeland security on LaGuardia airport. He was consequently subjected to the full cavity search, adding another layer of excitement to the classic Beckett's drama.

> I get the definite feeling that Linux is not Oracle's forte. It is
> overly sensitive to the shared libraries. Also I am at the point of
> saying "to hell with it" and install Oracle on a Solaris 10 box and
> forget the Linux system.

Normally, I'd be the first one to blame Oracle, but RH 5 is very different from RH 4. The difference is that Linux Threads are gone in favor of NPTL (Native Posix Threads for Linux). That caused rather large scale glibc change and Oracle has to create a completely new distribution for it. It's not an easy task. This time, Red Hat fouled up, not Oracle Corp.
It would be completely unforgivable for Oracle to declare support without testing it. I suspect that they will incorporate RH 5 support into the next patchset. According to my information, 10.2.0.4 is due in July.

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com