Re: Oracle 10g R2 RHEL 5 When?

From: HansF <fuzzy.greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:37:48 -0700

On Jun 26, 1:22 pm, Jack <jrsc..._at_comcast.net> wrote:

> I get the definite feeling that Linux is not Oracle's forte. It is
> overly sensitive to the shared libraries. Also I am at the point of

You are absolutely right.

It would be sooo much better for Oracle to take a copy of the required public libraries, place them in non-standard directories, keep them totally static, and maintain bug fixes in parallel with the library maintainers.

Or perhaps Oracle should simply duplicate the functionality of the public libraries and maintain that at their own cost ... since people obviously would not want to pay for the duplicate effort.

Or perhaps Oracle should simply make reference to the required libraries in their documentation and hope that people would read that before attempting to install and run.

The reason Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, and yes even Windows are considered for production is that there is a release control at the OS side that allows Oracle to make appropriate adjustments. The same reason that Oracle certifies specific distros of Linux. All related to being able to take the time and use the 'vendor' resources to do appropriate regression testing.

However, what you experience with RH5 is not far from what others have experienced with Vista. Even outside the context of Oracle.

You are searching for stability. You would probably be much more comfortable with a commercial product such as Solaris.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!