Re: implications of merging 17 tables into 1...

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 13:41:54 -0500

nirav wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a data model and part of the applications' functionality is
> there in a group of 17 tables to 20 inter related tables. Now there is
> an initiative to redesign this piece entirely and the architect is
> suggesting just one mega table instead of these 17! What could be the
> pros and cons of this approach?
>
> Does it mean that there will be more self joins for the same table and
> writing queries for getting required data will be more complex?
>
> What would be the right approach to analyze such a proposal?
>
> With thanks,
> Nirav

Ask the architect if he has ever heard of Normal Forms and why they are used. Then ask him how his proposed design will protect against data anomalies that Normal Forms help to protect.

Normally, this approach is a bad idea. Normally, the data was broken down into multiple tables for a reason.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net