Re: optimizer and MTS

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 06:44:25 -0700

On Jun 26, 4:05 am, sybrandb <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 25, 11:11 pm, wagen..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > Oracle 9.2.x
> > solaris 2.7
>
> > Does MTS in anyway influence the optimizer?
>
> > I think the answer is NO, but just wanted to get some input.
>
> > Thanks
> > wagen
>
> The answer is NO. MTS is just a connection mechanism.
> Be aware though you can't trace a MTS connection, as there is no
> guarantee the entire session will be executed by one shared server
> process.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

I would like to point out that MTS is an obsolete term in 9.2 as Oracle refers to this feature as Shared Server now.

With version 10g Oracle provides a utility for combining trace files to aid in tracing Shared Server processing; however, unless your system is near its limit on how many processes it can fork you should consider switching back to dedicated sessions.

There is a performance penality for using Shared Server and using Shared Server does not reduce OS memory requirements since you have to increase the shared pool size to support the Shared Server processing.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Jun 26 2007 - 08:44:25 CDT