Re: clean up ocr?

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala.SPAM_ME.NOT_at_verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:45:14 GMT

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 07:27:17 +0000, herta wrote:

> environment: Oracle EE 10.2.0.3 on SLES10
>
> I'm setting up Data Guard largely following the instructions in
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/pdf/
MAA_WP_10g_RACPrimaryRACPhysicalStandby.pdf

> In doing so, I ran into a few issues, due to which I had to start over a
> couple of times. Data Guard is up and running now, but I'm having
> problems adding the standby database (back) into the cluster, because it
> claims the database already exists. Oracle's solution, "choose a
> different name for the database being created" is not practicable in
> this case, as it would upset our naming schemes, and hence cause
> scripting issues.
>
> Is there a way to clean the entries for this database from the ocr?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Herta
>
> $ srvctl add database -d pa99nb -o /oracle/base/product/10.2.0/db_1/
> PRKP-1073 : Cannot create database pa99nb because a database named
> pa99nb already exists.
>
> $ srvctl remove database -d pa99nb
> Remove the database pa99nb? (y/[n]) y $ srvctl add database -d pa99nb
> -o /oracle/base/product/10.2.0/db_1/ PRKP-1073 : Cannot create database
> pa99nb because a database named pa99nb already exists.
>
> $ crs_stat | grep pa99nb ; echo $?
> 1
>
> $ ocrdump -stdout | grep -i pa99nb
> [DATABASE.LOG.pa99nb]
> [DATABASE.LOG.pa99nb.INSTANCE]
> [DATABASE.DATABASES.pa99nb]
> ORATEXT : pa99nb
> [DATABASE.DATABASES.pa99nb.ORACLE_HOME]
> [DATABASE.DATABASES.pa99nb.DOMAIN]
> [DATABASE.DATABASES.pa99nb.SPFILE]
> [DATABASE.DATABASES.pa99nb.DB_NAME]
> [DATABASE.DATABASES.pa99nb.ROLE]
> [DATABASE.DATABASES.pa99nb.START_OPTIONS]
> [DATABASE.DATABASES.pa99nb.ENABLED]
> [DATABASE.DATABASES.pa99nb.POLICY]
> [DATABASE.DATABASES.pa99nb.PRIOR_POLICY]
> [DATABASE.DATABASES.pa99nb.SERVICE]
> [DATABASE.DATABASES.pa99nb.CONFIG_VERSION]
> [DATABASE.DATABASES.pa99nb.ENVIRONMENT]
> [DATABASE.DATABASES.pa99nb.INSTANCE]

Why would you want to add a single-instance standby to the cluster registry? You are aware of the fact that standby database is a single instance thing, usually not only outside the cluster but also in separate location. In the company that I work for, standby databases are in another state.
Registry and a voting file are data files and the only way to clean them up is to copy approximately 64MB of zeros over them, by doing something like dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/ocr bs=1024k count=64 That will make the cluster registry squeaky clean, nothing will survive. Unfortunately, oracle doesn't yet have anything like the (in)famous "regedit" utility. On the other hand, ORA-0600 and ORA-7445 are Oracle versions of BSOD.

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com