Re: Instance tuning

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:59:56 -0500

Ana C. Dent wrote:

> sd2611 <sd2611_at_gmail.com> wrote in news:1182444501.818580.220700
> @x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com:
>

>> Where does the instance tuning fit if we use the below-mentioned order
>> implementation.
>> 1. Tune the design.
>> 2.Tune the application.
>> 3. Tune memory.
>> 4. Tune I/O.
>> 5. Tune contention.
>> 6. Tune the operating system.
>>

> IMO, #3 & #4 are the only 2 which can be tuned by throwing money at the
> problem; more hardware, more better.

Really? Maybe I read it differently. :)

Tuning memory can involve making sure you SGA components are sized correctly. And tuning I/O can involve making sure that you have spread out your highly active segments among multiple disks and controllers. This doesn't necessarily mean throwing more hardware at the problem.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net