brain teaser

From: jamesd <jamesd_at_ring4freedom.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 13:29:00 -0700

Ok, I have a very challenging brain teaser for the sql gods.

We have a very simple sql table that lists every city in the world, like this

*cityname*, *lat*, *lon*
baltimore, 111.333, -38.3333
boston, 112.11111, -22.2222
rio , 23.01007 ,33.7233963
(etc, 3 million rows)

I am tasked me with writing a sql statement that will find all cities that fall into 4 lat/lon coordinates Plygon (NOT a perfect square).

For instance the coordinates are:

lat1=23.01007 lon1=33.7233963

lat2=23.0183048 lon2=33.816658

lat3=21.9754562 lon3=33.8121071

lat4=21.9797649 lon4=33.7281723

Does anybody care to help here :) Any math math or geography people in here? :) Received on Fri Jun 22 2007 - 15:29:00 CDT