Re: free oracle data profiling/quality tool

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 11:44:42 -0700

On Jun 22, 2:41 pm, goog <ning...._at_dfa.state.ny.us> wrote:
> On Jun 20, 3:39 pm, ErikYkema <erik.yk..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 19, 8:43 pm, goog <ning...._at_dfa.state.ny.us> wrote:
>
> > > Hi,
>
> > > I am in search of a downloadable oracle data profiling/quality tool.
> > > Any recommendation is highly appreciated. Thanks!
>
> > Well, independent of the discussion about whether data profiling is
> > sensible etc., are you aware that Oracle Warehouse Builder 10gR2
> > offers quite advanced data profiling? It's not open source, but the DB
> > EE and I believe Standard Edition do include a license of the basic
> > product. The following article by an Oracle ACE can be a starting
> > point:http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/rittman-owb.html.
> > Be sure to research the licensing of this 'option' - licensing is very
> > messy (and expensive!) with this OWB release, but I believe you need
> > the Data Quality option (that markets here as 222 Euro per named user
> > or Euro 11.105 per processor, should match the licensing of the
> > database.) Playing for a while should still be free. OWB is not a
> > fully intuitive product, the installation manual is definitively a
> > required read.
> > Regards,
> > Erik Ykema
>
> Thanks so much for the infomation!
>
> I have found a couple (even though they may not be free) -
>
> 1. Data Quality / Explorer by Informatica
> 2. Oracle Warehouse Builder
> 3. IBM WebSphere Information Analyzer
> 4. Pervasive Data Profiler (possible product for Unisys?)
>
> Wonder if anyone has any comments, pro and cons. Thanks in advance!

What exactly are you trying to do? Do you have a project you are working on?

If there is a project give us some idea of what environment and what kind of application design was used. Is there 3rd party software ( canned applications )? Is this theoretical knowledge or do you have some goals and deadlines you are trying to achieve?

Answers to questions like that might give some people more room for specific recommendations. Received on Fri Jun 22 2007 - 13:44:42 CDT