Re: backup online redo log file during a hot backup

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 10:50:12 -0700

On Jun 22, 12:00 pm, Massa Batheli <mng..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> This might seem out of place to those who have religiously not been
> backing up online redo log files but unfortunately some of us have
> been doing that.
> Question out of ignorance
>
> If you do not back them up would they be recreated from the archived
> redo log files when the files are restored and the database started /
> recovered?...
>
> Thanks for your response as usual
>
> Massa

The active redo log is not, I repeat not, archived unless you explicitly do so with 'alter system archive log current;' at which time it's no longer active, therefore if you lose this you may have lost vital information necessary for instance recovery; you WILL have lost the ability of Oracle to function. Active redo logs cannot be 'recreated' from any archived copy of the redo logs. You really need to read this:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/recoscen008.htm

before you go any further.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Jun 22 2007 - 12:50:12 CDT