Re: Instance tuning.

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:58:17 -0700

sd2611 wrote:
> Where does the instance tuning fit if we use the below-mentioned order
> implementation.
> 1. Tune the design.
> 2. Tune the application.
> 3. Tune memory.
> 4. Tune I/O.
> 4. Tune contention.
> 5. Tune the operating system.

Apparently you didn't understand the responses you already received so I will try to be as clear as possible.

Nowhere. Your list is meaningless except as an academic exercise and as an academic I would give a D to anyone that submitted it.

Things happen in a specific order.
Applications are designed ... hopefully well.

Then they are built in accordance with that design and tuned using tools such as tracing, profiling, and explain plan.

Then they are evaluated in one or more test environments, unit testing, integrated testing, etc. and then deployed into production.

Tuning thereafter should only take place based upon metrics that establish a specific cause-effect. Tuning memory or I/O in the absence of metrics indicating they are the issue is the cause of much wasted effort and often creates new problems that had not previously existed.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington