Re: Problem with importing a database with national (Polish) characters

From: Martin T. <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 05:07:33 -0700

On Jun 22, 9:49 am, "majster" <majs..._at_majster.com> wrote:
> Thanks for Your reply.
>
> > Ask for the log of the export - see if there are warnings about
> > possible charset conversion.
>
> > Another question - are the local characters stored in
> > (var)char, or Nvarchar data types?
>
> The exported file looks OK. If you just view it as ANSI text (i.e.
> windows-1250 codepage), all the texts look OK, the national characters are
> there ant they are the correct ones. That would suggest that the varchar

WE8ISO8859P1 corresponds to Windows-1252 whereas I assume Windows-1250 would correspond to EEISO8859P2. Storing polish characters (not supported in 8859P_1_) in a WE8ISO8859P1 Database-Column does not make sense to me.

> type was used (provided varchar/nvarchar have similar meaning as in MSSQL,
> namely non-unicode/unicode).
>
> DW

You might want to check out the docs:
* DATATYPES: http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96540/sql_elements2a.htm * IMP/EXP: http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96652/part1.htm

If your data is in NVARCHAR/NCHAR columns you really need to understand waht that implies. (*I* sure don't at the moment but I do not use these datatypes, we use UTF-8 VARCHAR2)

br,
Martin Received on Fri Jun 22 2007 - 07:07:33 CDT