Re: oracle threads increasing, even after closing sessions

From: Jimmy <jimmy.cooleman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 02:19:33 -0700

Dear all,

Some updates on this problem, we probably found it. It had nothing to do with application, but it's the combination of Oracle 10.2.0.3 and Windows 2003 server.
After searching on metalink, we found these 2 bugs: 5573896: DCD IS NOT WORKING IF SET MORE THAN 1 MINUTE 5475041: PROBE PACKETS ARE NOT SENT IF SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME IS GREATER THAN 1
This sounds like our problem, we had sqlnet.expire_time = 10 so we changed it to 1 minute. But no result. The number of connections was still increasing.
Then i found Bugno. 5607984:
ORACLE DOES NOT CLOSE TCP CONNECTIONS. REMAIN IN CLOSE_WAIT STATE This is exactly what happens on our site except: We don't use OC4J application, and our product version is 10.2.0.3 We tried the workaround , and removed the SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME parameter completely from the sqlnet.ora file.
And since then our system is stable again !!! No more connections in CLOSE_WAIT state !! Our server is now running fine for already 4 days. ( before we had to restart the database every 4 hours ! )

So it seems that is has something to do with the SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME parameter.

According to Note:342443.1
the bug 5607984 was solved in 10.2.0.3 Patch 1. So we installed the latest patch bundle ( 10.2.0.3 Patch 6 ) on the test server.
We're currently monitoring that system. The sqlnet.expire_time parameter is set to 10
on this testserver
If everything seems fine on the testserver, we'll probably patch the production server this weekend, patch 6.

Thanks to all people we helped/replied. Received on Thu Jun 21 2007 - 04:19:33 CDT