Re: free oracle data profiling/quality tool

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:18:36 -0000

On Jun 20, 1:01 pm, goog <ning...._at_dfa.state.ny.us> wrote:
> On Jun 20, 10:24 am, Steve Howard <stevedhow..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Thanks. No, this is not what I am looking for. I am looking for open
> > > source tools that can do
> > > column profiling, dependency profiling and redundancy profiling, etc.
>
> > > N.
>
> > Let me first say I don't know of any free (I assume that is what you
> > mean by downloadable) tools that will do this, but that kind of tool
> > always scares me.
>
> > I never know the kind of queries it will be use to validate the
> > business data. I know that purists out there will say that a well
> > designed relational schema will not need to be validated, but I also
> > know people (designers) make mistakes. However, just turning a third
> > party tool loose on a production database to find table *data*
> > dependencies and redundancies (not just structurual dependencies or
> > redundancies) seems to be a risky proposition at best.
>
> > Regards,
>
> > Steve- Hide quoted text -

> Steve,
>
> Maybe I didn't make myself clear.

No, it's possible I just didn't understand what you were asking.

> Here is what I am looking for: an open source tool to do the followinghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_profiling.

The page you linked has items such as the following:

> It won't be used in production. We want to have a quick
> look at the data in the database as we are having problems
> with the data.

In order to get this information, I'm assuming you would have to query a production database to get it (unless you have a copy of your production database elsewhere where performance isn't as much of a concern). So for example, for the item above, my fear is a "data profiling" tool issues something like the following...

select * from order where customer_id not in (select customer_id from customer);

In some versions of Oracle, that could be a performance nightmare.

It *may* not end up to be an issue, but it's the first thing I always think of. I've worked with hibernate, and seen some nightmarish statements generated. Admittedly, that's not a profiling tool, but it does generate SQL, which I would think a tool like you are mentioning would also do.

Regards,

Steve Received on Wed Jun 20 2007 - 15:18:36 CDT