Re: free oracle data profiling/quality tool

From: goog <ning.zhu_at_dfa.state.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 10:01:09 -0700

On Jun 20, 10:24 am, Steve Howard <stevedhow..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 20, 9:40 am, goog <ning...._at_dfa.state.ny.us> wrote:

> > > Oracle provide a free tool called SQL Developer which can be
> > > downloaded from here:http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/sql/index.html.
>
> > > You need to create a Metalink account before you can download it but
> > > this is free and quick to do.
>
> > > HTH
>
> > > -g
>
> > Thanks. No, this is not what I am looking for. I am looking for open
> > source tools that can do
> > column profiling, dependency profiling and redundancy profiling, etc.
>
> > N.
>
> Let me first say I don't know of any free (I assume that is what you
> mean by downloadable) tools that will do this, but that kind of tool
> always scares me.
>
> I never know the kind of queries it will be use to validate the
> business data. I know that purists out there will say that a well
> designed relational schema will not need to be validated, but I also
> know people (designers) make mistakes. However, just turning a third
> party tool loose on a production database to find table *data*
> dependencies and redundancies (not just structurual dependencies or
> redundancies) seems to be a risky proposition at best.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve- Hide quoted text -

Steve,

Maybe I didn't make myself clear.

Here is what I am looking for: an open source tool to do the following http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_profiling.

It won't be used in production. We want to have a quick look at the data in the database as we are having problems with the data.

N. Received on Wed Jun 20 2007 - 12:01:09 CDT