Re: oracle unbreakable linux

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_bluebottle.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 14:05:23 GMT

DA Morgan wrote:

> Chuck wrote:

>> Just got a free copy of this today with my subscription to Oracle
>> Magazine. Has anyone installed this? I don't want to start the
>> installation unless I know it's going to allow me to at preserve my
>> current windows xp ntfs partition since that's where I do most of my
>> work. I also have another ext3 partition with a different linux distro
>> and don't want to overwrite that either though it's small enough that I
>> could back it up to the ntfs partition first.
>
> I've had no problem installing Oracle's Unbreakable Linux on a machine
> with XP Update 2 but I did it from the 4CD set not the DVD so I can't
> tell you they are identical. I did have to go into /boot and manually
> modify the menu however.

Thanks.

I booted from the dvd just to see if it was a live dvd or not. It isn't. When I tried to reboot pclinuxos from my hd I found that the DVD rm'ed my initrd symlink without ever asking me if it could change anything on my HD, or even which partition to use. I guess it saw an ext3 partition and just started using it. Not a good first impression. I'm not at all impressed with the package versions it comes with either. I mean... open office 1.1? Version 2 has been out for years. I think I may just wait for the Centos 5 live CD which is equally compatible with Red Hat and go with that. Received on Wed Jun 20 2007 - 09:05:23 CDT