Re: recover lost triggers

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 04:39:38 GMT

rich <rschneid_at_nsf.gov> wrote in news:1182292837.263526.111450 @u2g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

> All, it is a very unfortunate situation. The prior DBA was there for
> 13 years, during which time he wrote many 15+ triggers to handle a
> single batch process that happens about every 2 years. There is no
> source control, there is no backup system, there is no development
> platform. Every possible system development design guideline was
> broken. New junior DBA is appointed. He does not know how to program
> and probably had never seen a trigger before. He did not know the
> triggers were there or important. So somehow some of the key base
> tables get dropped and so go the underlying triggers. I am brought on
> board as a general purpose troubleshooter. I have never seen Oracle
> before this ( but I have spent 15 years with Sybase [ no offense
> intended ] SPs, triggers etc., programming, debugging). So I quickly
> discover that something is not quite right when I see all of these red
> "INVALID" statements next to some triggers using DBArtizan. I try to
> look at the trigger code, but there is none there. I ask around and
> discover that the system relies heavily on triggers to kick off the
> package/body functions. The package functions/sps are all there but
> the calls went audios with the triggers. So now I want to see the
> code for the original triggers. There isn't any. It is either in the
> Unix/System backup of the .dbf files or its nowhere. Any help with
> this mess would be greatly appreaciated. As it is I am re-engineering
> one trigger at a time.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Rich S.

Others can fill in the details following my sparse description. Oracle Corp has a utility (DUL?) which can "mine" the system*dbf file for the trigger source.
The Urban Legend is that it does a reasonably good job but it is VERY costly to get required Oracle consultant to drive this magical s/w.

HTH & YMMV! Received on Tue Jun 19 2007 - 23:39:38 CDT