Re: recover lost triggers

From: rich <rschneid_at_nsf.gov>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:40:37 -0700

All, it is a very unfortunate situation. The prior DBA was there for 13 years, during which time he wrote many 15+ triggers to handle a single batch process that happens about every 2 years. There is no source control, there is no backup system, there is no development platform. Every possible system development design guideline was broken. New junior DBA is appointed. He does not know how to program and probably had never seen a trigger before. He did not know the triggers were there or important. So somehow some of the key base tables get dropped and so go the underlying triggers. I am brought on board as a general purpose troubleshooter. I have never seen Oracle before this ( but I have spent 15 years with Sybase [ no offense intended ] SPs, triggers etc., programming, debugging). So I quickly discover that something is not quite right when I see all of these red "INVALID" statements next to some triggers using DBArtizan. I try to look at the trigger code, but there is none there. I ask around and discover that the system relies heavily on triggers to kick off the package/body functions. The package functions/sps are all there but the calls went audios with the triggers. So now I want to see the code for the original triggers. There isn't any. It is either in the Unix/System backup of the .dbf files or its nowhere. Any help with this mess would be greatly appreaciated. As it is I am re-engineering one trigger at a time.

Suggestions?

Rich S. Received on Tue Jun 19 2007 - 17:40:37 CDT