Re: What could be wrong with my DB if "drop table" hangs forever?

From: Ron Schnell <schnell_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 08:45:34 -0700

On Jun 18, 1:57 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On Jun 16, 3:07 pm,Ron Schnell<schn..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the responses. I have figured out that it is sitting
> > waiting for a "library cache lock", and the lock is being held by
> > SMON.
>
> > Any suggestions from here?
>
> As a wild guess, I'd wonder if you have some sort of dependent object
> like a view on the table, which needs to be recompiled due to the
> change in the table, but can't be because someone is using it. Is
> this really happening with table foo or are you doing this on a real
> table in production?
>
> select owner, object_name, last_ddl_time,status
> from all_objects
> where status <> 'VALID';
>
> It is also important to state exactly which 10g you are using - there
> are latch contention bugs in patch levels below 10.1.0.5, for
> example. SMON is responsible for space operations, and Bug 3650599 is
> space operations with this symptom. Workaround is to flush shared
> pool, which is not a particularly great thing to do.
>
> jg
> --

It really is table "foo", and my message listed *all* of the DML involved (across all users). So, there's no problem with other processes using the table, etc.
I am indeed running a patch level below that. How hard is it to apply patches to get it up to at least that level? Would it require much downtime?

Thanks. Received on Tue Jun 19 2007 - 10:45:34 CDT