Re: What could be wrong with my DB if "drop table" hangs forever?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:57:21 -0700

On Jun 16, 3:07 pm, Ron Schnell <schn..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the responses. I have figured out that it is sitting
> waiting for a "library cache lock", and the lock is being held by
> SMON.
>
> Any suggestions from here?

As a wild guess, I'd wonder if you have some sort of dependent object like a view on the table, which needs to be recompiled due to the change in the table, but can't be because someone is using it. Is this really happening with table foo or are you doing this on a real table in production?

select owner, object_name, last_ddl_time,status from all_objects
where status <> 'VALID';

It is also important to state exactly which 10g you are using - there are latch contention bugs in patch levels below 10.1.0.5, for example. SMON is responsible for space operations, and Bug 3650599 is space operations with this symptom. Workaround is to flush shared pool, which is not a particularly great thing to do.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  DEAR ABBY: I recently had surgery to correct a
defect in my urethra. The medical term for it is "hypospadias." I let