How do you folks keep track of your total Oracle space useage?

From: GS <GS_at_GS.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:42:37 GMT

Kind of an odd question, I know..

A couple of times a year I get asked for various reasons how much total disk space are all of our databases taking up. Usually I have a ball park figure just going from memory, and at times just scroll through the database storage tabs in OEM or run "select sum(bytes)/1024/1024 from dba_data_files;" on each database and tabulate the results manually.

With our SAN environment going through many changes and new off site backup strategies being looked at I am thinking I should have a "one button" approach to this where I can have this result with a moments notice. AFAIK there is no tool to do just this, none that I am aware of anyway. OEM would be the obvious place to have this, since all the username/pwds can be stored as preferred credentials. I was also thinking of just taking one of my sandbox db's and create dblinks to each and every database then running the above SQL on each db with many UNION clauses and using sql formatting to sum the totals. A bit cumbersome to set up but would do the trick.

Anyone think of a better way? Or IS there a tool or bit of freeware out there that does just this?

thanks! Received on Mon Jun 18 2007 - 11:42:37 CDT