Re: cursor looping - best practices?

From: <spacemarine_at_mailinator.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 07:46:02 -0700

On Jun 15, 3:39 pm, David Portas
<REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dpor..._at_acm.org> wrote:
> > perhaps i can offer you some insight. i come from the MS SQL world,
> > and little has changed over the years... what i learned in 2000 is
> > still what i use today in MS SQL, little has changed.
>
> Hmmm. Except for: partition schemes, mirroring, SSAS 2005,

still it remains -- what was learned on SQL Server 2000 is still largely applicable today. 2000 is still very common in the wild. on one of my projects they had even migrated from 2000 to 2005 w/o telling anyone. while there are some new features, it hasnt been a huge overall to most of the developers.

> Always be clear about what version you are using.

thanks dad. i guess that wasnt made clear enough by the other poster for your tastes, huh?

> "you use a cursor if and only if and only when you cannot do it in a
> single sql statement. a cursor gives you the ability to procedurally,
> row by row by slow row, process the data. you use them only when
> nothing else is available to you."
>
> http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:1...

cool. thanks.

sm Received on Mon Jun 18 2007 - 09:46:02 CDT