Re: Oracle 10g R2 RAC server side load balancing

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:46:57 -0700

On Jun 17, 2:41 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> > I am on Windows 2003 server.
> > In Oracle 10g r2, Oracle provides a load balancing advisory to
> > distribute load
> > among various noads when connections are made, i.e., a connection may
> > be made
> > to least loaded node. Oracle documentation also says somewhere that
> > this feature is only available with clients which use ODP.NET, JDBC,
> > OCI.
>
> > 1. If my application is using PRO*C instead of OCI, then connections
> > made by the application cannot utilize server side load balancing.
>
> How do you use Pro*C and not use OCI?
>
> > 2. Is it correct that my application code will not require any
> > changes to take advantage of this feature?
>
> Depends on whether your application is coded properly: We don't know.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington

  1. PRO*C is PRO*C - not sure whether Oracle pre-compiles it into OCI calls.
  2. What do you mean applicaion is coded properly. I did not see anywwhere information that code has to be written in a certain way . I am not utilizing TAF or OFN (?) events, simily making database connections ... I will think that one should not require any code changes at all.