Re: OO-databases - anyone out there?

From: David Portas <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas_at_acm.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:45:06 -0700

On 17 Jun, 18:02, Marc Blum <b..._at_marcblum.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Several times I've been asked, if there are any object-oriented databases having
> relevance to the IT market.
>
> IMHO there is no such OO-database-product, which can mess with RDBMS products
> (Oracle, MS-SQLserver, DB2, Postgres...) regarding
>
> - functionality
> - robustness
> - performance
> - scalability
> - beeing well positioned as a product
>
> Being a RDBMS- and ORA-head, I'm possibly a little biased, so let me ask you:
>
> Are there OO-database-products out here?
>
> Used in bigger projects?
>
> And strategically positioned inside an enterprise IT?
>
> Anyone out there having worked with such products and willing to tell his
> experiences?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Marc

Can you event define what an OODBMS is? I'm not aware that anyone has had much success in doing so.

My impression is that the features usually attributed as "OO" are equivalent to either O/R Mapping or Type Inheritence or both. It isn't obvious why either of those features should require a different type of data model or DBMS.

--
David Portas