Re: internal datatypes of result set in OCI

From: haomiao <miaohaoz_at_ustc.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 17:06:36 -0700

On 6 15 , 5 46 , sybrandb <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 15, 3:42 am, haomiao <miaoh..._at_ustc.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I am developing with oracle OCI(Oracle Call Interface). I am
> > using Oracle 9i.
>
> > In my application, all sqls are dynamic with no binding.
>
> Ah, I see you read the newest book of Tom Kyte entitled 'How to build
> an unscalable application'.

I maintain a system which is already in use. In this system all other modules
use a db module to interact with oracle. This db module only accept sql
without bind and return column value with only "string" external data type.

Now this db module needs improvement, but the interface must be the same.

In old implementation, to get the *string* value of a column, a fixed char[2048]
is reserved for each column. I think this fix size is too large for data type like
*number* and perhaps too small for some larger data type. So I want to get
the exact size of a column with external type *string*.