Re: cursor looping - best practices?

From: David Portas <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas_at_acm.org>
Date: 15 Jun 2007 13:39:04 -0700

On 15 Jun, 17:36, spacemar..._at_mailinator.com wrote:
> On Jun 15, 11:11 am, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
>
> > Obviously this is a version dependent question.
>
> not so obvious at all -- otherwise i would have specified. i was
> unaware of that difference between version. thanks.
>
> > I always failed to see why people posting here assume everyone here
> > is a mindreader and/or keeps track of versions in use.
>
> perhaps i can offer you some insight. i come from the MS SQL world,
> and little has changed over the years... what i learned in 2000 is
> still what i use today in MS SQL, little has changed.

Hmmm. Except for: partition schemes, mirroring, SSAS 2005, Intergration Services, Service Broker, SQL window functions, CTEs, Management Studio, T-SQL error handling, SQLCMD, SMO, SQL Native Client, encryption, schemas, synonyms, new index syntax, high availability improvements... I guess if you leave those out then not much has changed. Ah, sorry I forgot some other T-SQL stuff: CLR, userdefined  aggregates, data types, XML types, XQUERY, ...

> i cant speak for others, but thats why when i ask about a best
> practice its not obviously apparent to me that there may be dramatic
> differences between what people are actively using in production.

Big differences between versions in both in Oracle and SQL Server. Always be clear about what version you are using.

Tom Kyte on cursors in Oracle:

"you use a cursor if and only if and only when you cannot do it in a single sql statement. a cursor gives you the ability to procedurally, row by row by slow row, process the data. you use them only when nothing else is available to you."

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:12685600547901

--
David Portas