Re: oracle threads increasing, even after closing sessions

From: EscVector <EscVector_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:17:17 -0000

On Jun 15, 6:10 am, Jimmy <jimmy.coole..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 jun, 10:47, yong..._at_yahoo.com wrote:

> > > When i check for TCP connections on the server,
> > > i see a lot of TCP connection in the state CLOSE_WAIT; these
> > > connection are from the Webserver ( hosting the ASP application )
>
> > I assume your "server" here is the Oracle server, not the Websphere.
> > How long do these connections stay in CLOSE_WAIT state? What are the
> > corresponding connection states on the Websphere side?
>
> > We thought your application did something similar to sqlplus's
> > disconnect, but it doesn't look like, because in that case you would
> > see ESTABLISHED state. I'm not sure if there's some bug in .net
> > connector. You may want to search on Metalink or open a Tar.
>
> > Yong Huang-
>
> the connections in CLOSE_WAIT are on the Oracle server, on the
> webserver i don't have those connections.
> These connections stay i CLOSE_WAIT state, until we restart the
> Database.
>
> Should Dead Connection Detection not clean this up ?

http://www.sunmanagers.org/pipermail/summaries/2006-January/007068.html

CLOSE_WAIT means that the local end of the connection has received a FIN from the other end, but the OS is waiting for the program at the local end to actually close its connection.

LAST_ACK is what kill the connection, but this comes from the client TCP connection. Something in the connection path is holding these connections "open".

I'm betting the issue on the webserver. If not, do you have a load balancing hardware between the webserver and the database? Received on Fri Jun 15 2007 - 07:17:17 CDT