Re: Startup Script Disabling oratab file

From: herta <herta.vandeneynde_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:55:35 -0000

On Jun 14, 1:40 pm, gazzag <gar..._at_jamms.org> wrote:
> On 14 Jun, 12:26, GD <goran99_rem..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > sybrandb wrote:
>
> > > Time to kick his ass.
>
> > > --
> > > Sybrand Bakker
> > > Senior Oracle DBA
>
> > ###################################
> > #
> > # usage: dbstart $ORACLE_HOME
> > #
> > # This script is used to start ORACLE from /etc/rc(.local).
> > # It should ONLY be executed as part of the system boot procedure.
>
> > Perhaps he doesn't want to start/stop DBs during system startup/shutdown?
>
> > Regards
>
> Then the DBA could simply set the last field on each line in oratab to
> "N", surely? I don't understand why the lines are being commented out.

Maybe he used to work with RAC? In RAC, the crs starts the database instances and their definition is stored in the ocrs registry (not to be confused with the windows registry). When you create a database, they will still get an entry in oratab, but that is only used when you want to start/stop the database outside of the cluster.

One of our RAC clusters has a problem during startup. ASM tends to start too late or not at all, as a result of which none of the databases are started up either. Maybe he used to work on a similar system and created a workaround.

I'd ask more questions before judging him.

Kind regards,

Herta Received on Thu Jun 14 2007 - 15:55:35 CDT