Re: oracle threads increasing, even after closing sessions

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 13:18:57 -0700

On Jun 14, 2:54 pm, EscVector <EscVec..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 14, 1:14 pm, Jimmy <jimmy.coole..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 14 jun, 17:23, yong..._at_yahoo.com wrote:

> > > Isn't it true that DCD can only tear down a connection and terminate
> > > its server process if the client doesn't respond to an "Are you
> > > there?" packet? If the connection is healthy, the software client
> > > (sqlplus) does respond with a "Yes, I'm here", although the human
> > > client (user) can't type any command, other than exit and connect.
>
> > > Yong Huang
>
> > When i check for TCP connections on the server,
> > i see a lot of TCP connection in the state CLOSE_WAIT; these
> > connection are from the Webserver ( hosting the ASP application )
>
> Guess: It's a connection pool issue from the server and it's not
> closing the connections.

If you have a copy of "Expert Oracle Database Architecture" on hand, take a look at chapter 5, which discusses processes. Brief quotes of that chapter:
pg 162 "Technically, that command [disconnect] should be called DESTROY_ALL_SESSIONS instead of DISCONNECT, since we haven't really disconnected physically." "Note: The true disconnect in SQL*Plus is 'exit,' as you would have to exit to completely destroy the connection." "We have, however, closed all our sessions. If we open another session using some other account ..., we can see that we have no sessions - but we still have a process, a physical connection." pg 159 "It surprises many people to discover that a connection is not synonymous with a session."
pg 155 "When I use the term 'process' in this chapter, consider it to be synonymous with the term 'thread' on operating systems where Oracle is implemented with threads (such as Windows)."

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Thu Jun 14 2007 - 15:18:57 CDT