Character Set Problems

From: Paul <paulwragg2323_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 04:48:32 -0700

Hi,

I am having real problems with Character Sets in a 9.2.0.1.0 database. Here is the situation, with what I think is happening. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

  1. The Database Server is using the WE8ISO8859P1 character set. The client setting for the server is the same.
  2. We have an application that generates XML data, based on various things, and stores this data into a LONG column.
  3. One particular part of this is that step 2 reads the '°C' characters from a table in the DB.
  4. When the XML data is generated within our application, it is encoded using the UTF8 format. The '°C' characters become '°C' which I believe is correct as the UTF representation of the '°' character is '°'. I have used a hex editor to check the representation of these characters, and all seems to be well. I think everything is stored correctly. I also believe that as the database and client have the same character set setting, no conversion is done, and so the data is stored in UTF8 format.
  5. Another application comes along and reads the data in. The data is being rejected, as it does not know what the '°' is.
  6. I suspect that this 2nd application needs to know that the data is stored in UTF8 format.
  7. I have tried outputting the data in SQL Plus using various NLS_LANG settings, but I always get the 'Â' character displayed.

If I could get the display working correctly in SQL Plus, then I think I could recommend something to get the 2nd application to import the data successfully.

I am at a bit of a loss as how to proceed. I am convinced that the data is stored correctly within the DB, and the problem is with reading it back, but I do not know how to solve this. Any input into this that anybody may be able to offer would be good.

Thanks in advance,

Paul Received on Thu Jun 14 2007 - 06:48:32 CDT