Re: Suggestions for Book

From: EscVector <EscVector_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 05:37:02 -0000

On Jun 13, 8:25 pm, "Dereck L. Dietz" <diet..._at_ameritech.net> wrote:
> I was reading the Oracle 10g Concepts and Warehouse Tuning Guides and there
> were sections about course and fine grain stripping.
>
> Can anybody suggest any good/decent books that would provide me a more
> thorough understanding of the differences and implications for each?
>
> Thanks

I'm guessing you read this:
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14211/iodesign.htm#i28823

Books, no, but lots to read:

Onces good for small reads, ones good for big reads, but neither really matter on advanced storage if done well. Try searching for the topic in google or elsewhere. There isn't much out there, which usually means that it is not an "issue". It matters greatly if the storage admins are clueless.

Here's a reference as to why it might not be an issue. http://www.hds.com/corporate/press-analyst-center/press-releases/2007/gl070514c.html

There are some good references in this paper, but a bit heavy... Paper topic: disk heat and perfomance
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/papers/Disk_Drive_Roadmap.pdf

I'd head to the storage vendors, EMC, Hitachi, etc, and browse their libraries. I've found that actually speaking to the storage administrators goes a long way as well. Received on Thu Jun 14 2007 - 00:37:02 CDT