Re: Suggestions for Book

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 17:27:15 -0700

Dereck L. Dietz wrote:
> I was reading the Oracle 10g Concepts and Warehouse Tuning Guides and there
> were sections about course and fine grain stripping.
>
> Can anybody suggest any good/decent books that would provide me a more
> thorough understanding of the differences and implications for each?
>
> Thanks

I wish I could suggest a book but I can not. But I would expect you will find WhitePapers here:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/maa.htm#Database that might be helpful.

My personal feeling, untested in the lab, is that for most people who have related issues they all have disk shelves from NetApp, Pillar, EMC, Fujitsu, Hitachi, etc. and none of us are writing to disk any more ... we are writing to an in-memory cache. So I'm not sure it matters as much as the vendor specific operating system's optimizations.

Again ... this supposition is untested in the lab so it could be wildly off the mark.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington