External table without directory write access

From: <matthias.hoys_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 07:14:42 -0700

Hello,

Is it possible to create an external table without write access on the underlying directory object ?

I tried this:

CREATE TABLE matthias_ext
(
  SMILES VARCHAR2(1000 BYTE)
)
ORGANIZATION EXTERNAL
  ( TYPE ORACLE_LOADER

     DEFAULT DIRECTORY SMILES_DIR
     ACCESS PARAMETERS
       ( RECORDS DELIMITED BY newline

  FIELDS TERMINATED BY "," OPTIONALLY ENCLOSED BY '"'   (
   smiles CHAR(1000)
)
)

     LOCATION (SMILES_DIR:'smiles.txt')
)

REJECT LIMIT UNLIMITED
NOPARALLEL
NOMONITORING; But when I query the table, it still requires write access on the directory object SMILES_DIR. I have read permissions on SMILES_DIR, but no write access.

Any idea ? Couldn't find much in the documentation.

Matthias Received on Wed Jun 13 2007 - 09:14:42 CDT