Re: UNIX System Database Startup Script

From: Digeratus 2006 <digeratus2006_at_nospam.hotmaildotcom>
Date: 12 Jun 2007 04:24:04 GMT

Michael42 <melliott42_at_yahoo.com> wrote in news:1181596771.710045.258720 @q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to get a consensus of what is currently being used to
> start Oracle 10g databases upon a Sun UNIX system boot.
>
> Like many, in the past I used the legacy /etc/init.d/dbora (which
> calls dbstart\dbshut) and requires entries in the /var/opt/oracle
> file.
>
> At present with approx. 25 databases I use what is found in the
> scripts section here: www.michael-elliott.com (dbctl.sh)
>
> What do you use and why do you prefer it?
>

> Thanks for your feedback,
>
> Michael

I worked on the database startup scripts for our HP-UX servers. Some dev servers had over 50 instances most of them started but idled all day. The total number of instances was over 300. We had 5 operations DBAS. Everything was automated so we used our own scripts calling SQL*Plus. They used dbstart as a starting point. The startup script read the oratab file to get the list of databases.

The scripts could be hardened against every new problem that came up. When 60 databases took too long to start and stop, we ran them in parallel, three at a time. When a startup failed, an email was sent to the DBAS and a priority problem was sent to the problem tracking system and a DBA was paged.

The scripts evolved over several versions of Oracle and HP-UX, but the prime directives remained. The scripts only changed because of an operational problem or a problem with a new version of software. DBAS did not modify scripts to add a new database.

HTH Andy Received on Mon Jun 11 2007 - 23:24:04 CDT