Re: UNIX System Database Startup Script

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:37:06 -0700

On Jun 11, 2:19 pm, Michael42 <melliot..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to get a consensus of what is currently being used to
> start Oracle 10g databases upon a Sun UNIX system boot.
>
> Like many, in the past I used the legacy /etc/init.d/dbora (which
> calls dbstart\dbshut) and requires entries in the /var/opt/oracle
> file.
>
> At present with approx. 25 databases I use what is found in the
> scripts section here:www.michael-elliott.com (dbctl.sh)
>
> What do you use and why do you prefer it?
>
> Thanks for your feedback,
>
> Michael

Most every place I've been at for any length of time has had some dummy electrician or electric company repeatedly bounce servers without realizing it, in spite of UPS and operations procedures and blast-proof steel doors. Fortunately, the last one (last week) was death to the SQL-Servers, not the Oracle stuff. This often results in management decrees of no autostart scripts for databases.

Haven't been on Sun in a while, though the worst bouncy-bouncy corruption I ever saw was on one in the 8.0 era. The stock dbora seems ok for a basic hp-ux system. Still can hang on dbshut without a reboot (some do periodic cold backup for certain DR).

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yctEEDWXXmU