Re: Tablespace/Datafile Layout for Datawarehouse

From: Greg Rahn <greg_at_structureddata.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 18:11:45 -0000

  1. Yes. A (smallfile) datafile can have approx 4 million blocks. Personally I use 8k blocks for everything. It is the middle of the road size and doesn't put you in an edge condition. If you want larger IOs in a DW, adjust the multi block read accordingly.
  2. From a performance view, having fewer files lowers the file descriptor requirement, but it may impact the recovery strategy - now a single file recovery will take longer due to the increased size.
--
Regards,

Greg Rahn
http://structureddata.org