Re: ORA-00257 archiver error. connect internal only, until freed. Well, how can I securely "freed"

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 03:08:31 -0700

On Jun 9, 10:04 pm, Charles Hooper <hooperc2..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> hpuxrac provided a good suggestion for a book. While I have not read
> that specific book (the RMAN documentation from Oracle is reasonably
> good), it is a good idea to make certain that all pieces are in place
> to allow for recovery.
>
> You might want to retain not only a couple days worth of backups, but
> also the archived redo logs for a couple days. Ideally, the multiple
> online RMAN backups (data files, control file, and archived redo log
> files) should be transferred to tape or other backup media in addition
> to those files remaining in the flash recovery area. In the event
> that one of the backups is bad and you need to recover the database,
> you could use an earlier backup and all archieved redo logs since the
> last good backup.

The restore database validate check logical is also a good option to think about for tape content validation but requires a lot of time and access to tape drive(s).

>From my point of view though the OP needs to invest the time in
reading the documentation, getting familiar with the basic concepts etc before throwing in specific limited questions. Whether that's the oracle rman documentation that is free or the Hart/Freeman book is not as important. Received on Sun Jun 10 2007 - 05:08:31 CDT