Re: ORA-00257 archiver error. connect internal only, until freed. Well, how can I securely "freed"

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 19:04:45 -0700

On Jun 9, 5:33 pm, Joe <joe1..._at_tlen.pl> wrote:
> it created one flash recovery area file couple hours ago, alert log
> does not say anything, last message was:
>
> Severity=Unreachable Clear
> Message=Agent Unreachability is cleared. The current status of the
> target is UP.
> Rule Name=Database Availability and Critical States
> Rule Owner=SYSMAN
>
> I read somewhere that once make full backup with rman, all archivelogs
> can be removed. After reading more about rman, and still being
> confused with number of options and switches it got, I dont think that
> the above is even a question.
>
> I am just trying to get to the point where my ora10gR2 is backed up
> fully (everything) and I dont have to worry about it (old archives are
> removed from disk device). I have 50gb partition for that logs and
> backups. My tablespace is 200mb, archive logs about 50 mb each about
> 250 mb a day.
> What would be the likely best settings for backup? should one backup
> each day just controlfile and datafiles, and keep archivelogs until
> that backup happened and then remove them, or also back them up (what
> is the reason for that?)

It is preferred in this forum that reponses to posts appear below the pre-existing text - bottom-posting is preferred.

hpuxrac provided a good suggestion for a book. While I have not read that specific book (the RMAN documentation from Oracle is reasonably good), it is a good idea to make certain that all pieces are in place to allow for recovery.

You might want to retain not only a couple days worth of backups, but also the archived redo logs for a couple days. Ideally, the multiple online RMAN backups (data files, control file, and archived redo log files) should be transferred to tape or other backup media in addition to those files remaining in the flash recovery area. In the event that one of the backups is bad and you need to recover the database, you could use an earlier backup and all archieved redo logs since the last good backup.

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Sat Jun 09 2007 - 21:04:45 CDT