Re: ORA-00257 archiver error. connect internal only, until freed. Well, how can I securely "freed"

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 13:39:20 -0700

On Jun 9, 12:53 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 09:04:46 -0700, Joe <joe1..._at_tlen.pl> wrote:
> >I would like to backup entire system: control files, archive logs,
> >datafile copy, basically - everything in order to get zero problems
> >putting ora online after major crash.
> >should one (ccording to my show all settings) use the following
> >command:
>
> >RMAN> BACKUP ARCHIVELOG ALL DELETE ALL INPUT;
>
> >is there anything this command is not backing up?
>
> It is *only* backing up the archivelogs, it is NOT backing up the
> database etc.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

That could make it difficult for the OP to recover from problems. The 10g R2 Enterprise Manager Database Control makes it easy to set up RMAN so that it backs up the database, archived redo log files, and control file, while keeping X number of database backups in the flash recovery area. It is a good idea to force log file switches occasionally, for instance every 30 or 60 minutes.

If no new archived redo logs are making it into the flash recovery area, check the Alert log to determine if the database instance still believes that the flash recovery area is full.

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Sat Jun 09 2007 - 15:39:20 CDT