Re: Tablespace/Datafile Layout for Datawarehouse

From: Dereck L. Dietz <dietzdl_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 00:53:00 -0500

"Greg Rahn" <greg_at_structureddata.org> wrote in message news:1181361923.331612.140660_at_r19g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
> Why do you limit the data files to only 4GB? If you are using an 8k
> block you can go up to 32GB. This would reduce the amount of open
> file handles.
>
> If the disks are 98+% busy, it's time to add some more spindles.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Greg Rahn
> http://structureddata.org

I was not the one who set this database up so you're really not asking questions I haven't. I'm just trying to either confirm what I think and/or get other opinions. We are going to be getting a new server where I will have input (though not sure how much weight) about how it will be set up and I don't want to duplicate mistakes made in the existing servers.

As for the disks being busy I've mentioned it before and the off-site DBA keeps coming back with "there's plenty of disk space". How he equates disk space with disk utilization I don't know. Received on Sat Jun 09 2007 - 00:53:00 CDT