Re: ORA-00257 archiver error. connect internal only, until freed. Well, how can I securely "freed"

From: bdbafh <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 04:16:13 -0000

On Jun 8, 11:21 pm, Joe <joe1..._at_tlen.pl> wrote:
> my archivelog on 10gR2/Win2k3 has just filled out.
> I still can connect through SYS into my instance.
>
> Obviously, I would like to increment db_recovery_file_dest_size which
> is simple, however this database did not have full backup since couple
> weeks, and I wish to keep it fully working with data up to the moment
> when archivelog has been filled out (couple hours ago). I can still
> run SELECT queries.
>
> 1. What should one do in order to securly increment recovery dest
> size, and restart oracle instance?
> should one just simply execute "Alter system set
> db_recovery_file_dest_size=20G" and restart oracle as a service in
> Windows 2k3, or try to backup with rman before? Or maybe there's
> another more secure way to deal with this situation?
>
> 2. Can one set up db_recovery_file_dest_size as unlimited? I have also
> tried to move 3/4 of my flash content (the oldest part) into different
> place to make room for the fresh archivelog, but that did not change a
> thing.
> In the future, how can one successfully "release" unwanted archive log
> after rman backup in order to make space for the new archivelog
> content?
>
> Thanks for all your help.

the words that you're looking for are "delete input". you may want to set retention policies such that archived redo logs are included in at least 2 backup sets prior to being eligible for deletion.

you could temporarily set the log_archive_dest to another location that has free space and after grooming the logs, switch it back (no instance restart required).

-bdbafh Received on Fri Jun 08 2007 - 23:16:13 CDT