Re: Relational database comments

From: EscVector <EscVector_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 15:35:07 -0000

On Jun 8, 7:33 am, Serge Rielau <srie..._at_ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> muddu wrote:
> > One of the properties of a relation or table is that every row is
> > unique. If this is so,
> > what do we do with a table of comments?
>
> > Let's say, i want to put comments on a play in a relation. Two
> > different people say
> > "It was a great play". They both say exactly the same words. How
> > can we put both comments
> > in the relation if we must have uniqueness?
>
> If you want to preserve which person said what then the persons make the
> row unique.
> If you don't want to preserve which person said what, then there is
> indeed no need for the extra row.
>
> Just my 2 cents
> Cheers
> Serge
> --
> Serge Rielau
> DB2 Solutions Development
> IBM Toronto Lab

Comments are points in time. Comment 1 time a, comment 2 time b. It really depends on the app. If I say in my comment that a person requires a return call and that gets stored with no time or order reference, and another comment said called person, how do I know which came first. Does the called person refer to the first note or does the person require another call? I think the comment should have both time and key to know its origin. Received on Fri Jun 08 2007 - 10:35:07 CDT