Re: NLS of Oracle and Regional Settings of Windows

From: <vmohanaraj_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 10:04:18 -0000

On 5 Jun, 20:19, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> vmohana..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I need to format a date using the windows Regional setting at the
> > server side.
> > This formatting should be perfomed irrespective of the NLS settings of
> > the oracle server.
> > The version of the oracle server used is 9.2.0.1.0.
>
> > I would appreciate your help in this regard?
>
> Absurd.
>
> If I were to use your server, should I understand your local calendar?
> Of course not - I want it in my local calendar!
>
> Just out of curiosity - why do you need to format it server-side,
> where basically, Oracle stores dates as a number?
> What is the scenario, business case if you like, behind all this?
>
> - --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel

Hi Frank ,

Thanks for your reply.

Here, what the server needs to use is the server's regional settings, not the client's one.
(Assume we have only Windows servers. Here, the settings are done by one person, and are used by others).

The formatting needs to be done server-side, because, in this scenario, lots of fields are
concatenated into a string and stored in a database column. This is then viewed by a crystal report.

I have found a solution though. That is to send each date as it is and do the concatenation in the crystal
report. As you might know, the crystal report has the ability to format the date using the regional settings of the server. I have completed my task, but am still under impression that it could have been made a bit simpler.

Your comments are much appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Mohan. Received on Fri Jun 08 2007 - 05:04:18 CDT