DB Setup - Dump file versus SQL Loader

From: AnGanesh <anganesh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 23:37:49 -0700

Dear All,

I am working for a product based company. For DB setup for our product, we are currently using the dump file to generate all the required tables and initial data. As part of initial data setup, we have both static/lookup data loading and test data loading as well (nearly 130 tables have data setup).

During development, we are facing great challenge in the dump file generation.... to even make small changes to data and test the same, we have to go through the complete process of dump file preparation and checking in the same. To avoid this one of the suggestion is to move away from dump file and have scripts for tables/views/sp creation
and load initial data using sql loader. Concern with this approach is
my installation process becomes bulkier (will take more time to create
tables and then the sqlloder lot of log files). Number of log files to skim through to see whether installation is successful or not etc.

Any suggestions or sharing your experience on this will be of great help !!!

Thanks
Ganesh Received on Fri Jun 08 2007 - 01:37:49 CDT