Re: lsnrctl can start listener, crs_start cannot

From: herta <herta.vandeneynde_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 21:21:08 -0000

On Jun 7, 10:32 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> herta wrote:
> > We're using ASM, and I cannot configure ASM without the listeners. :-(
>
> Where in the installation docs does it tell you to use netca to
> create a listener for an ASM instance?
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington

To answer both your questions:

I ran netca on the primary node only. It asks whether to run clusterwide or locally, so chances of misunderstanding are slim.

The documentation doesn't explicitly tell you to set up the listener in advance, but as already explained, we use ASM. If you configure ASM (in our case using dbca) without the listeners up and running, it will ask to create the listeners for you. AFAIK, you cannot set up ASM in a cluster without the listeners up and running. (But feel free to correct me if I missed something.) If you let dbca create the listeners for you during the ASM setup, they will run in ASM's ORACLE_HOME. We prefer running them in the databases' ORACLE_HOME. FWIIW, this also came up during the Oracle RAC training, and this is the way the instructor recommended setting this up.

Kind regards,

Herta Received on Thu Jun 07 2007 - 16:21:08 CDT