Re: Oracle 10g client: Is any license required for production installation

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 11:22:44 -0700

On Jun 7, 10:56 am, "Malcolm Dunnett" <noth..._at_spammers.are.scum> wrote:
> <matthias.h..._at_gmail.com> wrote in message

> > You don't need to pay for client installations. If you have a
> > processor license, you can install the client software on an unlimited
> > amount of PC's and connect with an unlimited amount of users.
> > If you choose for named user licenses, you have to pay for each
> > *named* user that accesses the database. So if you user John Doe
> > connects to the production database from different 2 PC's with both
> > the Oracle client software installed, you only need to pay for 1 named
> > user license. If both John Doe and William Doe use the *same* PC to
> > connect to the database, you need 2 named user licenses.
>
> Thanks. That's always been my understanding, but like the
> OP noted, I've never seen it spelled out by Oracle anywhere.
> If there is an official statement of that by Oracle somewhere
> I'd like a reference to have on file.

The explanation by Mathias ( like mine, not coming from an oracle employee ) is correct. You pay for the database server licensing and client licensing gets bundled/free. ( Of course if you are using oracle's middle tier application server stuff you pay for that also ).

For 10g oracle is pushing "instant client" to take away some of the headache from client installations.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/oci/instantclient/index.html

Take a look at the words on that page "Especially for production. Especially for free". There's a link to the instant client whitepaper.

Whether you use the new instant client or do a more typical client install the explanation that Mathias gave is the long standing policy in effect.

If it makes you sleep at night give your oracle sales rep a call or fire off an email. Make sure you begin by clarifying that you are paying for all your darabase server installs already and the call/ question concerns only the client.

No clue at all what Mr. Baker was going off about in the 1st reply. Received on Thu Jun 07 2007 - 13:22:44 CDT