Re: not using foreign keys?

From: Walt <walt_askier_at_SHOESyahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 17:55:15 -0400

DA Morgan wrote:
> Brian Peasland wrote:
>

>> A worse approach would be to let the application handle the
>> referential integrity. But don't get me started on that....

> What we somehow need to educate these front-end developers about is that
> front-ends are technically incapable of enforcing referential integrity.
>
> They give the appearance of doing so but actually do not and can not.
> No front-end designable is capable of keeping someone accessing the
> data with any other tool from destroying it be that batch loads with
> SQL*Loader, DBAs with SQL*Plus, or a host of tools that use ODBC or JDBC.

Well said.

I think in this case we're looking at a data designer who is *planning* on wanking the data with one of those tools. Iron clad data integrity rules make for a "closed system" that you can't bend to your whim using sql*plus or your chainsaw of choice.

What's needed here is a DBA who understands the value of data, and also understands that he shouldn't be allowed to break the rules of data integrity any more than the lowly applications programmers.

//Walt Received on Wed Jun 06 2007 - 16:55:15 CDT