Re: App Server Caching of Oracle Code

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 20:44:01 +0200

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 16:07:52 -0000, Valentin Minzatu <valentinminzatu_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Jun 6, 11:27 am, "klabu" <k..._at_mailinator.com> wrote:
>> 10gR2
>> JBOSS 4.0.2
>>
>> Hi
>> Can someone give me a short rundown about JBOSS caching of Oracle stored
>> procedure calls ?
>> e.g. If I, in PL/SQL pkg specification, make changes to the "specs" of the
>> stored procedure,
>> should JBOSS be bounced ?
>>
>> thanks
>
>I am not sure whether I got your question right, but normally, if you
>change the specification of a package, then any session that had
>already used the package, prior to the change, will receive an error
>(only) the next time it makes a call to the package, stating that the
>state of the package has changed.
>
>Some folks prefer to bounce the application server to avoid this kind
>of error.

Not that it would make any difference, as stored procedures do not run in any application server, but in the shadow process on the database server.
Changing packages in a running production system is of course a big no no, even if you know what code depends on it.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA