Re: Kernel parameter recommendations for HP-UX 11.11 in regard to SGA size

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 11:51:16 -0700

On Jun 6, 4:23 am, Swoop <s..._at_doesnotwork.com> wrote:

> Ok, thanks for that as it confirms what I was thinking apart from
> setting dbc_min_pct and dbc_max_pct to the same value. I will set them
> both the same such that 256Mb is allocated. Now I just have to talk the
> sysadmin into making the change and then bouncing the server.
>
> Then I'll have more memory available to allocate to the databases as well.

Guess I should have added that there's an easy way to implement checking what kind of hit ratio hpux is giving you from the os buffer cache. If you implement sar based reporting one of the metrics you can get is the hits. Here we trigger off a run every 10 minutes to get baseline os statistics.

Not that you want to live and die by that hit ratio but it does give you something to consider. Normally even with a fairly small number for dbc_min and max the ratio is pretty good until Data Protector driven file system backups start executing. Received on Wed Jun 06 2007 - 13:51:16 CDT